Farnoosh’s note: this blog post is courtesy of the wonderful Angela Stanton, from Smoothierecipes.us!
I know what you are thinking, broccoli in a smoothie? That’s gross! Well my friend you would be totally wrong! Not only is this smoothie delicious, you can’t taste the broccoli and it adds an extra dimension to it which will fill you up and stop you from feeling hungry.
This green smoothie is great for those looking to use up some of the leftovers in the fridge with ingredients that you will usually have on hand which will satisfy you until lunch of dinner. Plus, adding broccoli to smoothies is a sneaky way of adding the least liked vegetable into the kids’ diet.
(For another sneaky green smoothie recipe, take a look at my Green Chocolate Orange Smoothie.)
Using frozen bananas helps to chill the smoothie and thicken it without compromising the consistency while the almond milk offers a lactose free alternative for those with intolerance or living a dairy free lifestyle. In addition to this the broccoli and applies provide a great deal of nutrients that make this a delicious green smoothie for everyone to enjoy.
Green Broccoli & Apple Smoothie
(Prep: 5mins, Blend: 1mins, Yields: 2 Servings)
2 Frozen Bananas
1/2 cup Broccoli
3 Apples (cored and chopped)
1 cup Almond Milk
2 tbsp Oats
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and mix on a high speed until thick and mixed thoroughly
- Pour into a glass and serve. You can top with oats for a breakfast smoothie that adds extra fiber and a crunchy dynamic to this smoothie
Note: Raw broccoli can have a bit of a bitter taste so you can either choose to add frozen broccoli or slightly steam or pre-cook it before adding to your smoothie.
Smoothie Nutritional Info
Suitable for Vegans and Dairy-Free
Smoothie Health Benefits
- Bursting with vitamin K, broccoli is a great vegetable to pack into your smoothie arsenal and helps to detoxify your system of a buildup of dangerous toxins.
- In addition to this is it high in fiber which can aid in digestion and help muscle repair for those with high activity lifestyles.
- Broccoli can also help to lower cholesterol and promotes a healthy heart and cardiovascular system.
- Another element of this smoothie is the apples which have a large portion of dietary fiber to help those with digestive discomfort and promote a healthy gut.
- Apples have also been linked to increasing mental clarity and preventing some of the signs of dementia which is why they recommend apples for children who struggle to focus in school.
My name is Angela and I a run a blog called Smoothierecipes.us In my blog I share with my readers the very same methods that helped me lose 76 lbs in one year. I Love cooking, hiking and totally fanatic about HBO shows.